Book release: APR 2024! | Read the Chapter Zero | or subscribe to get release news!
Earthflown is an illustrated science-fiction fantasy novel set in near-future, post-flood London. It’s a high-stakes love story that tries — and fails — to leave the water crisis behind. Told in three alternating (but intersecting) perspectives, Earthflown takes a grounded approach to fantasy archetypes, where medicine meets a bit of magic.
I often wish books had Ao3 style genre tags on the back, so here are some relevant tags to help you decide whether this might be a story for you! I have left out some plot-spoilery tags.romancescience fictionmagical realismresource scarcitygenetic engineeringFuturistic Medicalscifi / fantasybig pharmatwinsorganised crimeLGBTfluffcartelshurt / comfortsibling bondssecretsinvestigative journalismviolencespeculative fictionfound familyhyper privitisationforbidden loveopposites attractfatal capitalismplatonic intimacy
Shaded warnings take up more ‘screen time’ in the book, whilst outlined warnings are passing or brief. If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to message me.
acknowledgements + art / illustration credits
This novel would not be possible without the patient and indulgence of my editors, betas and friends. All errors are my own. Big thanks to:
- Dr Beckius, for her medical expertise.
- Litarnes, for endless squee sessions, sounding board angst and emotional support.
- Karoline, Maria, Erica, Mark, Alanna for tireless beta-reading, enthusiasm and patience.
- Tilly for developmental editing and endless scrutiny.
- Jackie for deep-level copy edits!
- JWB for his insanely generous support – a real life saver!
All website illustrations are by me (Frances Wren) unless otherwise stated. Superior illustrations for Earthflown include:
- animated cover painting and featured illustrations by Mallory Litarnes
- character portrait sketches by Mezamero
- guest illustration of chapter 2 by Raphodraws